So I only started up The World on my Necklace less than two months ago and I have already been nominated for a Blogging Award!
The Liebster Award is awarded to newbie bloggers with under 500 followers by other bloggers to welcome them to the blogosphere and to congratulate them/highlight their blog. It is a great way to discover new blogs and to help drive traffic to each others sites. Starting at this late stage when there are already thousands of bloggers plying their trade, us newbies need all the help we can get!
The rules for the award are as follows:
- Thank the blogger who gave it to you.
- Answer the eleven questions they ask you.
- Nominate eleven bloggers with less than 500 followers.
- Ask those eleven bloggers eleven questions.
- Let those bloggers know that they have been nominated so they can continue the chain
I was nominated by Claire and Raphael of Defrosting and Discovering Downunder. From Paris and Chicago respectively, this couple’s blog documents their time in Melbourne on a University Exchange with explorations of Australia and New Zealand scattered in for good measure. Thanks for the nomination Claire and Raphael!
Below are the questions they posed to me and my answers:
1. Which country boasts the best cuisine?
That’s a hard one! Thai food is my favourite in the world but I haven’t been to Thailand yet. I also am kinda addicted to Soul food but I haven’t been to the Deep South yet either! Of the places that I have actually been, I think that the food in Greece was pretty damn amazing. So many flavourful salads and veggie dishes and I loved the fresh seafood. I have also had incredible food in the UK and I miss the Gastropubs and Markets sorely.
2. I’d rather be……
3. When bored and online, you find yourself wandering onto what website
My favourite travel blogs or looking at flights on Skyscanner
4. If you could move anywhere for the next year, no consequences, where would it be?
Hawaii! I love those islands and if I could move there and not have to worry about money (or visa requirements), I would be in heaven
5. When travelling, what do you miss most about home, or your usual routine?
Not much really. In some countries where variety of food is scarce, I miss being able to go into a supermarket to pick from a wide range of food to be able to make my favourite meals. I get sick of eating out all the time on longer trips and always like to cook for at least half the time I am travelling.
6. What is the “strangest” thing you have eaten on your travels, well, at least strange to what your friends at home might think?
I can be quite fussy with food so nothing too crazy. Probably alligator, llama or snake would be the weirdest although they didn’t taste weird, they were delicious!
7. What is your go-to source for travel information?
Travel blogs, forums, advice from other friends/travellers and the Lonely Planet.
8. What do you most prefer to blog about when travelling? Food? Culture? Musings? Nature? Plans?
Nature mostly, also with some food and culture thrown in and with a dash of musings.
9. What is your favorite word, phrase, or quote in a language other than English?
Good question! I love ‘La Vie en Rose’ – Life in Pink. I just think it sounds beautiful, in French and in English. French is my favourite language and I would love to learn more of it.
10. What of your travel experiences do you think needs a do-over? As in, you could have gone about it better or in a different way looking back
I am a worrier. I worry and stress a lot more than I should and I need to learn to let go more. We were trapped in a small village in Colombia for 10 days and I was miserable because we had booked the Inca Trail for a couple of weeks time and I was worried we wouldn’t be able there on time. I should have tried to relax more because there was nothing we could do about the situation. I don’t like not having any control.
11. What is the drink of choice in the place you are currently?
I’m not a big drinker (of alcohol) these days so I am going to go with coffee. I LOVE coffee and although Sydney’s isn’t as good as Melbourne’s or Auckland’s, there are still plenty of places with skilled baristas where you can get a beautiful brew.
So now it is my turn to nominate 11 new bloggers who I have been following; here goes!
- The Unsettled Meliorist
- The Trusted Traveller
- Canon Footprints
- Hannah on the Map
- 2 tickets to Wonderland
- The Travel Sisters
- My Feet are Meant to Roam
- Greetings from a Stowaway
- Angela Travels
- Foreign Sanctuary
- A Creative Nomad
And these are my questions to you, fine bloggers:
1) What is your favourite travel movie?
2) What are your three favourite cities and Why?
3) What has been your most memorable hotel/hostel stay?
4) Have you ever been robbed while travelling?
5) What is your best wildlife experience?
6) How do you save money for travel?
7) Where do you see yourself in five years time?
8) What is your biggest travel fail?
9) What is the best hike you have done?
10) What destination will you keep going back to?
11) When did you first fall in love with travel?
I look forward to reading your answers!