Hiking Italy's Amalfi CoastI have hiked the Inca Trail, through the Rocky Mountains, between the villages of Cinque Terre, past Mount Doom on the Tongariro Crossing in New Zealand, around the thundering waterfalls of Yosemite National Park and dodged bears in Glacier National Park.

All of these hikes were incredible and they were all highlights of my travels. They are also very popular hikes, and rightly so.

But popular means a lot of people.

This wouldn’t stop me from doing a hike but I do find that I enjoy hiking more when there aren’t many other people around. Hiking into the Colca Canyon, between indigenous villages in Mexico and high in the Cordillera Blanca in Northern Peru were special hikes to me because they aren’t extremely popular and I felt as if I had the place to myself. It made it seem more special. I felt like I connected more with my surroundings and I was more in the moment.

The hike that I did between villages on Italy’s Amalfi Coast turned out to be one of those special hikes.

When I visited Italy on a solo backpacking trip back in summer 2011, I went hiking as much as possible. I had seen mention in the Lonely Planet that there was a system of trails between the villages of the Amalfi Coast and that one of the trails starts behind the village of Amalfi.

But I couldn’t find a map, even at the Information Centre. So I would have to wing it.

I wasn’t sure at first if it was a good idea to undertake the hike by myself, and with no map. I ummed and ahed about going at all then decided I would just wander on the trail for a while to see some coastal views before heading back down the way I had come.

So I started off by walking up towards the mountains behind the picturesque village of Amalfi. I followed the one main road to its end and found a trail heading into the valley. Past stone walled dwellings and small farms I wandered. The higher I rose in altitude on the trail, the more incredible the views of the sparkling coast below.

P1100457 P1100466As I entered the Valle dei Mulini, the path slowly crept skyward before levelling out as I progressed deeper into the Valley. Green forest surrounded me, dense and jungly. Shaded from the rising heat of the late summer’s day, I felt cool and refreshed. All was quiet except for the low gurgling of the river beside the path.

I came across what looked like an abandoned village. Crumbling brick buildings were hugging the side of a cliff above the river. The ruins were covered in thick undergrowth. Trees had reclaimed the forest floor in what was once the floor of the buildings.

P1100470 P1100473As I explored the ruins, I felt like Indiana Jones. I wondered who had lived here, out in the middle of the forest. I found out later that the ruins were of 17th Century Paper Mills, abandoned many decades earlier. The Valley had been home to Paper Mills since the 13th Century that were renown throughout Europe for the world class paper they produced. The paper was even used exclusively by the Vatican.

P1100477 P1100481Passing the ruins I stopped to dip my feet in a small clear pool with refreshingly cold water. I felt peace and serenity in that place. It was like I was the only person on earth and I felt a deep connection to the surrounding nature.

P1100479 P1100483I continued my hike back into the valley as far as the trail went. I came to more ruins with a beautiful waterfall cascading over a cliff and into a small pool below.

P1100493P1100498Another series of waterfalls flowed down through the Mill ruins. A small stone bridge spanned the crevasse. Picnic tables were scattered around a peaceful clearing in the forest but there was no one around to use them.

P1100495 P1100496From the clearing, the path changed direction and started rising steeply, out of the thick undergrowth, and back into the searing midday sun. Spectacular sea views unfolded before my eyes as well as a bird’s eye view of the Valley that I had been walking through for the past hour.

P1100505 P1100515 I ambled past a couple of small ramshackle houses and groves of the sunny lemons that the Amalfi Coast is famous for.

P1100499 P1100504Small lizards sunned themselves on the stone walls and along the trail; my only companions.

P1100510 P1100522I arrived in the sleepy village of Pontone and treated myself to a coke from the only shop/Restaurant that I could see. I sat in the sunny courtyard and was soon joined by three British walkers that were on the way to Positano. We chatted for a while before going our separate ways.

P1100518 P1100509With a series of hand gestures and a couple of Italian words, I was pointed in the direction of the hilltop village of Ravello by the Shop keeper. I followed the path that crisscrossed the steep road, all the way up to Ravello. This section of the hike was not nearly as impressive as hiking in the Valley. The surrounding landscape had become sunburnt and brown but the views of the coast were still incredible.

P1100521I emerged in Ravello and was immediately lost in the thick of a tourist swarm. It was a stark contrast to my two hours spent walking by myself but I didn’t mind too much. It felt like I had re-joined reality and I liked the buzz of happy travellers basking in the beauty of this medieval hilltop town.

P1100526Ravello is heart-achingly beautiful. Gorgeous views from every direction, lush tropical gardens, bright pink bougainvillea, cobbled town squares and brilliantly white buildings.

P1100530 P1100537I admired the views from various viewing balconies around the town and browsed the tasteful gift shops, full of beautifully handmade ceramics ad brightly printed home wares. I bought a ceramic picture depicting Ravello and a hand painted olive oil ceramic stopper. I wandered the perfect cobbled streets, free of litter, and through the luxuriant gardens with views over the sparkling waters of the Mediterranean.

P1100545 P1100547After a fried zucchini and salmon bowtie farfalle, one of the best pasta dishes I have ever had, I set off to hike down to the small fishing village of Minori.

Within 10 minutes of leaving Ravello I was back on my own again. I passed ramshackle houses with overgrown lawns and kicked up dust on the sun-scorched trail.

P1100550The path had a lot of twists and turns and I wasn’t sure if I was on the right track. Steep stairs and the dry landscape made it hard going and hot and I quickly ran out of water.

The sparkling water far below never seemed to get any closer.

P1100548I started to get worried that I would never find the right way down and kept having to backtrack when I made wrong turns and hit dead ends. There was no one else around so I couldn’t ask for directions and even if there was, my Italian is very basic.

I finally made it to the road and followed it around its many bends, wary of turning a corner and coming face to face with a car as there was no footpath to speak of.

After twenty minutes, with a pumping headache and the first signs of heat stroke, Minori finally came into sight.

Salvation.

P1100551First thing I did was buy a couple of bottles of water and scull them both. My thirst was finally quenched but I was still unbearably hot. I had forgotten my bikini so I ended up swimming in my bra and board shorts. I was so hot that I couldn’t have cared less. No one batted an eyelid anyway. It felt so good to be out in the water, letting the cool waves wash over me. I quickly regained my energy.

After drying off by following the lead of my lizard companions and basking on a large rock by the water, I explored the small town centre. Minori is a cute little place but not spectacular like its neighbours Amalfi and Positano. There was a lack of businesses dedicated to the tourist trade and I appreciated that very much. I enjoyed watching the locals go about their business at the slow pace belonging to small towns.

The long day finally caught up with me and when I saw a bus to Atrani, I jumped on it rather than walking the 45 minutes back along the narrow road.

Despite nearly overheating and getting lost, it was an incredible hike, particularly the first section from Amalfi to Pontone.

It turned out to be my favourite day out of my 17 days backpacking through Italy and it all started off on a whim.

34 Comments on Abandoned buildings and incredible views: Hiking Italy’s Amalfi Coast

1. ruth
    January 3, 2016 at 12:14 am (1 year ago)

Hey Katie,
    thank you for the tip with the Amalfi coast 🙂
    I’m travelling with a friend here and we are hiking from town to town. It’s really beautiful….
    Cheers from St’Agata
    Ruth (met in Seward, Alaska)

• theworldonmynecklace
      January 5, 2016 at 12:13 pm (1 year ago)

Hey Ruth! That’s great, I am glad to hear you are loving it. I only did the day hike from Amalfi to Ravello then down to Minori but would love to go back and do a multi-day hike between villages. Happy New Year 🙂

2. Louisa Klimentos
    March 10, 2015 at 7:59 am (2 years ago)

Yes you are right ,now that i can see your photos properly because at night time my computer works slow and does not show the pictures properly .Amalfi coast is Awsome and i alwayss wanted to go there

• theworldonmynecklace
      March 10, 2015 at 8:26 am (2 years ago)

It’s not your computer Louisa, my photos are too big now that I have switched to self hosted so I have to go into each post and resize them all . They will load slow until I have done for each one

3. Louisa Klimentos
    March 6, 2015 at 4:03 pm (2 years ago)

If you go to the Amalfi coast in the cooler months you will find the dry landscape nice and green and would look even more beautiful ,since you don’t usually like dry landscapes

• theworldonmynecklace
      March 7, 2015 at 2:58 pm (2 years ago)

It was pretty green when I was there Louisa, most of it anyway

4. Sheri Someday
    February 6, 2015 at 7:31 am (2 years ago)

Really enjoyed this post. I’m considering staying in either Atrani or Sorrento this summer on a solo ATW trip. What did you think of the hostel you stayed at in Atrani? I found your comment on Jimmy Eats World so it led me here to your wonderful blog. I like the idea of that small town and less tourism of Atrani, but the hostel got very mixed reviews. I’m also looking at a cute Airbnb place in Sorrento. Thanks so much!

• theworldonmynecklace
      February 6, 2015 at 9:14 am (2 years ago)

Hi Sheri, I would definitely recommend staying in Atrani over Sorrento as Sorrento isn’t actually on the Amalfi Coast – it is on the other side of the peninsula. The hostel in Atrani was simple but had a great location and was clean. I wasn’t a massive fan of Sorrento – a lot more tourism and isn’t as nice as the Amalfi Coast. I spent a couple of nights there too but it just didn’t have the same charm. Enjoy your trip! I will be doing a solo RTW trip from June 🙂

• Sheri Someday
        February 6, 2015 at 10:00 am (2 years ago)

Awesome. Thanks for the tip! That helps. Mine starts in June too! My first stop is Iceland. 🙂

5. alifeful
    January 28, 2015 at 10:11 am (2 years ago)

I love Italy! It’s one of my favourite countries – yet to go to the Amalfi coast!! This post made me want to go now!!! 🙂

• theworldonmynecklace
      January 28, 2015 at 10:55 am (2 years ago)

I hope you make it there! It is my favourite part of Italy 🙂

6. eemusings
    December 17, 2014 at 11:20 am (2 years ago)

Very cool! We went to Amalfi for the food ourselves – I briefly considered attempting some hikes but the heat was just too oppressive. We’re not particularly avid hikers 😛

• theworldonmynecklace
      December 17, 2014 at 5:04 pm (2 years ago)

How amazing is the food! By the end of the hike I was so dehydrated and hot that I jumped in the ocean in my underwear and sculled two bottles of water!

7. Dan
    October 16, 2014 at 1:45 pm (3 years ago)

You have found a hidden gem of the Amalfi Coast. You should consider doing Sentiero Degli Dei, also known as Path of the Gods (or Walk of the Gods) when you’re back. It truly lives to its name.

• theworldonmynecklace
      October 16, 2014 at 10:44 pm (3 years ago)

I heard of that hike and it sounds fabulous. I definitely will when I return to the beautiful Amalfi Coast one day

8. Kim
    October 15, 2014 at 4:26 am (3 years ago)

I love finding abandoned buildings or places that you wouldn’t expect when you are traveling and that is what I loved about your photos. It makes me want to plan another trip to Italy and soon.

• theworldonmynecklace
      October 15, 2014 at 4:30 am (3 years ago)

It was definitely a very nice surprise. It was my favourite place in Italy 🙂

9. Sarah
    September 17, 2014 at 3:07 pm (3 years ago)

This sounds like a great trip to kind of stumble upon – gorgeous views too, and all without the noise and bustle of loads of other people……

10. Sarah
    September 17, 2014 at 3:06 pm (3 years ago)

What a really lovely walk to kind of stumble upon – and gorgeous views too

11. Kendra (the Escapologist)
    August 26, 2014 at 1:08 pm (3 years ago)

Such gorgeous views. That water looks amazing. And I love stumbling upon abandoned buildings! It always makes my imagination go wild!

• theworldonmynecklace
      August 26, 2014 at 11:41 pm (3 years ago)

Same as me Kendra, abandoned buildings are awesome 🙂

12. Emily Sabo (@Emily_for_real)
    August 25, 2014 at 7:21 pm (3 years ago)

Wow – what an incredible journey! I would love to do the Amalfi Coast for all the same reasons. I love beautiful hikes, more so when you have them to yourself!

• theworldonmynecklace
      August 25, 2014 at 11:36 pm (3 years ago)

You would definitely love it then Emily! It was gorgeous and there was hardly anyone around when I was on the trail

13. Lesley Peterson (@culturetripper)
    August 22, 2014 at 12:17 am (3 years ago)

Gorgeous photos, Katie. I’m very familiar with Italy (my husband is Sicilian) and am very fond of the south because it is so less crowded. I’ve stayed away from Amalfi for exactly the reason that I’ve heard it’s always very crowded. It’s nice to know there are still a few quiet spots where there’s still room to muse and dream. It’s amazing you did that hike in only two hours. Even I could do that! Inspired.

• theworldonmynecklace
      August 22, 2014 at 12:30 am (3 years ago)

Thanks Lesley. I very highly recommend it, it is an amazing hike and not too hard as long as your fitness level is reasonable. I was so amazed about the lack of people!

14. Laura
    August 20, 2014 at 5:07 pm (3 years ago)

oh my it looks so beautiful! Fantastic photos 🙂 love it

15. Amy
    August 20, 2014 at 12:47 pm (3 years ago)

Sounds like an amazing hike! I wouldn’t imagine anywhere in the Amalfi coast could be so quiet, especially with views like that! Seems like you found a hidden gem. I’d love to try those trails someday.

• theworldonmynecklace
      August 20, 2014 at 11:17 pm (3 years ago)

It was incredible to me too to find quiet on the Amalfi Coast, guess most visitors that go there aren’t into hiking or don’t know about the trails, probably a bit of both

16. annathrax
    August 20, 2014 at 10:52 am (3 years ago)

Loved this! Hope to get to amalfi one day. Great blog too! Cheers from the west coast!

17. Jess Carey
    August 20, 2014 at 6:24 am (3 years ago)

Ohh I love the Amalfi Coast too – but I haven’t had the chance to hike it yet (I’ve visited twice, in winter 😛 ), what an amazing few days that must have been! Gorgeous shots 🙂

• theworldonmynecklace
      August 20, 2014 at 6:40 am (3 years ago)

It is an incredible place to hike and I don’t understand why it isn’t known. I hope you have a chance to hike next time you are there. I would love to return one day and spend a week hiking between villages – bliss