Why I am going home to New ZealandAfter eleven years of travelling and living overseas, I am edging ever closer to the move back to my home country of New Zealand.

It has been coming for a while. I thought that living in Sydney, which is only three hours from New Zealand and therefore a quick and easy trip away, would be enough but the truth is that I feel more homesick here than ever.

I love Sydney and it will forever be one of my favourite cities in the world but when it comes down to it, there is something missing. I don’t fully feel like I belong here. I am not Australian and I never will be.

Because I am a proud New Zealander.

Some days I am completely in love with this place. My homesickness dissolves and I can’t bear the thought of leaving. We live in a beautiful Art Deco apartment that is within walking distance to pristine native bush and numerous white sand beaches. I can hike all year round and swim for six months of the year. I have some amazing friends here.

But there is always that nagging doubt. Deep down I know that I am not meant to end up here and that New Zealand is calling for me to return. I have ignored it for long enough.

So we are moving back.

Walking around the Mount

This move is still a while away, after all I will be travelling for a year from next month. I should be returning from my trip in early July next year and I will be looking for a six-seven month contract to save some money for the move (and some more travelling). We are looking to travel in Patagonia and Brazil for around two months from January or February 2017 and then we will be flying into Auckland.

Another reason for this big unplanned move is to get Trav permanent residency in New Zealand. We realised a while ago that he wasn’t on the path to Permanent Residency here in Australia and to get on the right path would cost about $8000, and the time he has already spent here wouldn’t count towards residency. We had only ever planned to stay in Sydney for four years and had talked about possibly cutting it short and moving to New Zealand. The visa situation was a sign. I feel like this is what we are meant to do.

Luckily me and Trav are on the same page with this. Trav loves New Zealand and is looking forward to the move.

We are hoping to move to Wellington, the small and funky capital city, as it has a gorgeous harbour with bags of culture, incredible dining and coffee, lots of job opportunities, and easy access to hiking trails in the numerous regional parks and forests surrounding the city. It is also close to the mountains for snowboarding and there are a few surf spots for Trav.

Getting out into nature is important to most Wellingtonians, despite the less than stellar weather. The city has a cute nickname ‘Windy Welly’ because the wind is notorious there. It is something that we would have to get used to.

The Mount

Although we may not be able to make as much money as in Sydney, the cost of living is a lot lower and we can actually get a house with three bedrooms and a backyard with sea views for the same price as our tiny two bedroom apartment with no outdoor space in Manly.

If Wellington doesn’t work out for us then we will be heading to the outskirts of Auckland to either live on Waiheke Island or on the wild west coast beaches. To be honest, I don’t mind either way and there are benefits (and downfalls) to living in both cities.

I have no doubt that I will miss Sydney when we leave, just like how I miss London, Auckland and Vancouver now. That is just something you have to live with if you choose a life of travel. There will always be somewhere that you miss.

I don’t imagine we will be back for good. I still have my heart set on living in Vancouver so we will be working to make that a reality in the next five years. I would also love to live in San Francisco, Hong Kong, Cape Town, somewhere in Argentina and back in the UK. There are so many amazing places in the world.

But New Zealand is next and we couldn’t be happier.

24 Comments on Why I am going home to New Zealand

1. samselim
    May 25, 2015 at 3:29 pm (2 years ago)

Loving our life here in New Zealand and can totally see why you would want to come back 🙂

• theworldonmynecklace
      May 25, 2015 at 4:55 pm (2 years ago)

So glad to hear you guys are loving it. It’s a special place 🙂

2. naomiinwonderland
    May 21, 2015 at 11:19 pm (2 years ago)

This really makes me want to visit New Zealand! I’ll be traveling in Australia for quite some time so I’m excited to visit your wonderful home country!

• theworldonmynecklace
      May 22, 2015 at 3:52 pm (2 years ago)

Australia is wonderful too but there is nowhere like home 🙂

• naomiinwonderland
        May 24, 2015 at 7:59 pm (2 years ago)

I guess you’re right, although right now I feel like lots of places could be “home”, maybe one day!

• theworldonmynecklace
        May 25, 2015 at 9:43 am (2 years ago)

There have been a lot of places that have been ‘home for now’ for me but only two countries that I feel a very deep connection to – NZ and Canada

3. Passport_Liz
    May 21, 2015 at 10:30 am (2 years ago)

I felt the same about Melbourne after I left Spain – like it was close to home, but it wasn’t home. Good luck with the move!

• theworldonmynecklace
      May 21, 2015 at 12:08 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks Liz, it’s funny isn’t it? You would think you would be less homesick in Australia because the countries are quite similar but it is worse for me. Can’t wait to go home 🙂

4. Amy
    May 21, 2015 at 10:14 am (2 years ago)

How awesome! I’m very happy for you. Though I’ve never been to New Zealand, everything I’ve seen and read has wowed me, so I can easily see why you’d want to return. I hope I get to visit someday soon!

BTW I’m also very jealous of your Patagonia plans!

• theworldonmynecklace
      May 21, 2015 at 12:07 pm (2 years ago)

Amy you will have to come and visit when I am back and I can show you around! Trav promised me he would come for at least a month to Patagonia with me but I am going to try getting him to come for longer

5. The Adventure Ahead
    May 20, 2015 at 1:42 pm (2 years ago)

Glad to hear you are so happy about heading home. Happy travels 🙂

6. louisa klimentos
    May 19, 2015 at 11:26 am (2 years ago)

Nothing beats your initial home country and new zealand is a great place to raise a family You have made Australia very special and when you do leave Australia,it will be a great loss Listen to your heart and return back to New Zealand .Best of luck with your travels

• theworldonmynecklace
      May 19, 2015 at 1:05 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks Louisa, I will definitely miss Australia but its great knowing it is only a short plane journey away 🙂

7. Carol Colborn
    May 19, 2015 at 9:55 am (2 years ago)

We traveled for five years before we chose to settle again. Even if we are not trees, we must have roots.

• theworldonmynecklace
      May 19, 2015 at 10:03 am (2 years ago)

I agree Carol, some of us can go for longer without them but I know that I want to have a base as well as a life involving a lot of travel 🙂

• theworldonmynecklace
      May 19, 2015 at 9:40 am (2 years ago)

Thanks Jodie, I hope you get the chance to move there 🙂

8. Jane
    May 18, 2015 at 4:57 pm (2 years ago)

I think if I grew up in New Zealand, I would always think of it as my home too. I live in Brisbane but meet many New Zealanders in my suburb. Many of them are only here because there is not much work for them in their country. It is obvious how much they miss their home country and want to return. I see a lot of silver fern stickers on cars! It’s a special place. 🙂

• theworldonmynecklace
      May 19, 2015 at 9:40 am (2 years ago)

Home is where the heart is, for me anyway. Traditionally, a lot of Kiwis moved to Australia because of job opportunities, more money as well as for hotter weather and the bigger cities. I guess in the end for me none of those things matter and I don’t have a good reason not to live in New Zealand. I am finally ready to live in a smaller city now. The tides are turning and a record number of Kiwis have been making the move back home (as well as a lot more Aussies moving to NZ than in the past) and there are a lot less Kiwis moving to Australia in the first place. The New Zealand Economy is doing really well so there are less reasons for Kiwis to move away 🙂

9. Nicholas
    May 18, 2015 at 3:52 pm (2 years ago)

Love the photos, especially the one of Oneroa beach. It brings back great memories.

Good luck with the move. It’s as if they’re singing:

‘And I know I’m right
    For the first time in my life
    That’s why I tell you
    You’d better be home soon’

10. Tim
    May 18, 2015 at 3:24 pm (2 years ago)

As a fellow NZ’er who has lived abroad for many years I can totally relate to the feeling of homesickness and pride in NZ. Good luck.